The Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples believes it is a privilege to share life with a child, and is committed to nurturing bonds among families and generations. We celebrate the natural curiosity of children by offering an educational dynamic space that encourages exploration and discovery. This safe and wonderful place inspires children and families to have fun while learning together.
The mission of the Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples is, “To provide an exciting, inspiring environment where children and their families play, learn and dream together”. A 501(c)(3) not-for-profit charitable organization founded in 2002, we celebrate the natural curiosity of children by offering an educationally dynamic space that encourages exploration and discovery. This safe and wonderful place inspires children and families to have fun while learning together. According to the Association of Children’s Museums, “There is now a new mantra – Play Equals Learning!”
The Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples is a two-story 30,000 square foot cultural institution including permanent and temporary interactive exhibits galleries, Backyardville, a Family Resource Library, exploration rooms, Garden Cafe and Museum Store as well as space for staff, volunteers and ongoing operations. All facilities are designed to be fully accessible. The exhibits blend state-of-the-art technology with a replication of the natural world and human communities. Developed by experts in child psychology, museum master planning and exhibit design this experiential play fosters creativity, curiosity, empathy and self-esteem. Play allows children to develop the social skills needed to cooperate with others, sharpen their senses as a means for exploration, strengthen gross and fine motor skills and develop problem solving techniques.
Museum programs will include; community festivals, summer camp, after-school programs, art classes, field trips, outreach programs, parenting workshops, preschool groups and more. The Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples will be the first cultural institution in Collier County primarily devoted to connecting play with learning and a hugely important addition to the cultural attractions in our community. The Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples is an active member of the Association of Children’s Museums.
C’mon Be Green
The Golisano Children’s Museum is a LEED green building certified by the United States Green Building Council. It is the first green museum in Collier County and serves as an educational learning lab as to how visitors can make their own home green.
Environmentally friendly features in C’mon include recycled materials, rainwater harvesting, natural sunlight, a wind turbine and low VOC paints throughout. These features make the museum a much safer, healthier space for children.
Some of our green building features:
- Chill water HVAC system with under floor air distribution
- Wind turbine(s) for power generation
- Solar hot water
- PV solar panels for power generation
- Day lighting and occupancy controls for lighting
- Low E glass system
- Large roof overhangs
- Monitoring provided on building systems
- Vestibules at entry/exit points minimize conditioned air loss and humidity intrusion
- Waterless urinals
- Dual flush toilets
- Gray water irrigation
- Native (drought hearty) plant materials
- Rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing (10,000 gal. cistern)
Indoor Air Quality:
- Low VOC paints
- Low-emitting carpet and flooring
- No formaldehyde resins in composite wood products
- Walk-off mats provided at all three main entrances
- Under floor air distribution with localized thermostat control
- Merv 13 filtration system provided
- Outdoor air delivery monitored
- Window sizes and location provide daylighting and views while taking advantage of compass orientations
Materials and Resources:
- Storage and collection of recyclables on both floors
- High recycled content of all finish and furniture materials
- Building materials are manufactured locally
- Preferred parking allocated for hybrid and energy efficient vehicles
- Bike racks and showers provided
- Provided grass parking areas to minimize heat island effect
- Provided “live” green roofs and patios and highly reflective roofing materials to reduce heat island effect of building roof
- Interior lighting is programmed to automatically turn off during non-business hours
Innovation and Design Process:
- Exhibits and programs educate the public about the environment and our influence on it
C’mon Comes to Life
C’mon comes to life with this building dashboard. Discover how much energy C’mon has generated, and used, live with this online interactive!
Click here to learn about C’mon natural energy generated by: